Update:New World has been released. Most of the issues have been resolved. However, the wait times are too long.
Each AAA title faces performance issues these days, but we can let New World go for now, as the title is still in beta. You can download the closed beta via Steam client, but you must pre-order it.
You can find many discussions on the Steam forums and the New World subreddit about performance issues and other problems in the game. This is a closed beta. The beta release is intended to gather feedback from players. These problems will not be present in the final game copy.
All users around the globe are experiencing performance issues. Some are stuck on black screens. There are large queues and accidental bans. Amazon Games already tweeted about it, and they are doing their best to fix it (that’s what the said). The servers are to blame for all of this.
Let’s discuss how to fix performance problems in New World
New World How To Fix Lag Detected Issue
Note If you are experiencing stuttering problems, please go to the section on stuttering. Before the devs release an optimization update, it is recommended to limit your FPS to 60.
Let’s start with the system requirements of the game:
- OS: Windows(r) 10 64-bit
- Processor. Core(tm) Intel(r) Core(tm). i5-2400 / AMD processor with 4 cores @ 3Ghz
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Graphics GeForce(r), GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon R9-280 or better
- OS: Windows(r) 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel(r) Core(tm) i7-2600K / AMD Ryzen 5 1400
- RAM: 16GB
- Graphics GeForce(r), GTX 970, AMD Radeon 390X or higher
This is something that I don’t agree with. Lirik (streamer), was just playing this game, and he has probably the best gaming rig one can make. He was still having performance issues. Amazon still needs to address a few issues, I believe. This system requirement doesn’t make sense to me (official data).
To run the game smoothly, your PC should meet the recommended or minimum requirements. You will need to compromise on graphics and FPS if this is not the case.
Let’s not get bogged down in the details. Let’s fix these problems.
Change Graphic Card Settings
These settings are for Nvidia and AMD graphics card users. Use them to get the best performance.
For Nvidia Customers
- Nvidia’s Control Panel is open. Right-click on desktop > click Nvidia control panel
- Click Manage 3D Settings > Programm Settings
- If the game is not on the list, you can manually add it by clicking “New World”.
- Make the following changes now:
Monitor Tech GSync (If Available)
Maximum Pre-rendered Frames: 2
Threaded optimization On
Power Management: Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering- Quality: Performance
For AMD Users
- Anti-Aliasing Mode: Use Application settings
- Anti-aliasing Method: Multisampling
- Morphological Filtering Off
- Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Use application settings
- Texture Filtering: Performance
- Surface Optimization
- Wait for V-sync: Off
- OpenGL Triple Buffering: Off
- Shader cache: AMD optimized
- Tesselation mode: Use override to modify application settings
- Maximum Tesselation Level: Off
- GPU Workload Graphics
- Chill – Off
- Frame rate Target Control Disabled
These settings should be sufficient for you. You can also tweak the priority settings to increase FPS.
Update Device Drivers
Nvidia is well-known for pushing the most optimized updates to ensure that new games arrive, especially AAA titles. AMD is something I don’t know about because I have never used one. Here are the links to download the latest drivers.
- Nvidia Drivers Download
- AMD Drivers Download
Tone Down Game Settings
For every game, it is best to reduce the settings if you feel like your game is slowing down. You can play around with the settings and reduce shadows and textures. This should improve your game.
Disable Discord in-game overlay
I recommend that you make some changes to Discord if you’re like me. Discord overlay is one such thing. It’s not something you really need all the time. The overlay is useless to me as I have a 2-monitor setup. It has been known to cause FPS-related problems.
Disable Hardware Acceleration In Discord
- Open Discord
- Click on User Settings > Appearance
- Click on the Hardware Acceleration radio to turn it off.
Disable Discord In-Game Overlay
- Open Discord
- Under App Settings, go to Overlay
- This will disable it by clicking on the “Enable In-Game Overlay” button.
Turn off Game Mode
Windows claims that Game mode optimizes all windows processes and windows updates. If you enable the game mode, it will allow you to run games while optimizing windows. This is not true. Game bar has been known to cause FPS issues. It’s best to disable it if you’re not using it. Shadowplay by Nvidia is better for recording game clips.
- Click Start > Settings > Gaming
- Set the Game Bar to “Record screenshots and game clips and broadcast using Gamebar” to off
- Go to the Captures tab and set the “Record my background while I play a game” option to Off.
- Finally, click on Game Mode tab to turn it off.
How To Fix Stuttering in New World
Let’s now get rid of the lagging and fix the stuttering in New World.
Change Visible Number-Plate No. to 5
While the default setting is 10, I don’t believe you should look at more than 10 nameplates simultaneously, especially if you’re having trouble. Go to settings > visuals> change Player Nameplate amount from 10 to 5.
Stop memory-hogging apps
Check your disk and memory usage in the task manager. You can close all non-window applications that are consuming your memory. If your computer is still slowing down and everything looks fine, you might wait for the hotfix update.
I recommend that you close all memory-hogging apps, such as Chrome.
Limit CPU usage
Process Lasso software helps you limit the CPU usage for a specific app. The software is free to download and you can use it as directed. I was able drop my CPU usage by nearly 20% after using it. You might also try switching between hyperthreading off/on. This can make a significant improvement.
Move the games to SSD or faster HDD
Reddit user reports constant stuttering when playing New World. Someone asked him his specs and he revealed that he had an SSD for C Driver, but was using an old 5400RPM HDD. The 5400 RPM drive was used to install the game. The issue was solved when the user transferred his game to the SSD.
If you are still not able to run the game smoothly, please report this to Customer support and they will help you out. Issues like crashing, random black screens , games not launching are very common for every release. The same things have happened with big releases such as Red Dead Redemption 2 , Valhalla , and Cold war , but it was fixed within a day or two.