Do you check your inbox a lot? Ever wished you could find that one important email without scrolling for ages? If you nodded your head, then this is for you. Outlook has this cool trick just for that!
You know, a lot more people are using phones, tablets, and computers these days. That means lots and lots of emails flying around everywhere.
If your inbox is like a jam-packed subway train during rush hour, I totally get you. It’s hard to spot that one friend (or email) you’re waiting for!
So, here’s where Outlook becomes your superhero. It has this neat feature to “pin” your emails. Imagine sticking your favorite drawing to the top of your wall so you can always see it. Cool, right?
Now, let me spill the beans. There’s more than one way to do this pinning thing in Outlook. And guess what? You can even tweak it to make it work just the way you like!
So, if you’re ready to become an email whiz and never lose sight of the stuff that matters, stick around. We’re about to make your inbox a whole lot friendlier!
Pinning in Outlook 101: In plain English, this means you can make sure the super important emails always stay at the very top. So, they’re like your VIP emails getting the front-row seats!
Pin and Unpin Emails
Do you ever feel like playing hide and seek with your important emails? Well, no more! Let’s learn how to make them stay right at the top of your inbox.
Think of it like putting a sticky note on your favorite page in a book. Every time you open the book, there it is. Same goes for pinning your emails in Outlook.
Pin Important Emails
It’s super easy. When you’re in Outlook.com, just find that special email you want to pin. Hover your mouse over it and you’ll see a little flag icon pop up. Click it! Just like magic, that email will shoot up to the top of your inbox.
And here’s a cool trick: want to pin a bunch of emails all at once? You can totally do that! Just select all the emails you want to stick to the top. Once they’re highlighted, find the Pin/Unpin button in the ribbon at the top. Click it, and voilà! All your chosen emails will line up neatly at the top, waiting for you.
This comes in handy when you’ve got a bunch of important stuff that you want to keep an eye on. Imagine them as your top VIP emails, always waiting in the front row for you!
So, remember how we talked about pinning those super-duper important emails to the top? But, what if one day that email isn’t the superstar anymore? Yup, it’s time to let it go back to its regular spot in the crowd.
It’s just as simple as pinning! Find that pinned email you want to unstick. Hover your mouse over it, and you’ll see our little friend, the flag icon, again. Click on it, and that email will happily go back to hanging out in its regular spot in your inbox.
Now, here’s a piece of friendly advice: every now and then, take a peek at your pinned emails. Are they all still VIPs? If some aren’t shining as bright anymore, maybe it’s time to unpin them. It’s a bit like cleaning your room – it keeps everything neat and tidy.
By using the pin and unpin magic in Outlook, you’re like the boss of your inbox. Important emails? Always at your fingertips! Everything else? Organized and in its place.
How do you keep an email at the top of the list in Outlook?
Ever wanted to keep a super-special email at the very top of your list so you can peek at it anytime? Good news, Outlook’s got your back!
For Our Friends Using Office 365 Outlook Web:
You guys have this built-in magic wand called the Pin feature. It’s like telling your email, “Hey, I want you right here where I can see you!”
Here’s How You Do It:
- Find the email you want to stick to the top.
- On the right side of the email, you’ll see a little pin icon.
- Now, here’s a fun thing: hover your mouse over the pin. It’ll whisper to you, “keep this message at the top of your folder.” That’s its way of saying, “Click me!”
- Click that pin, and like a well-trained pet, your email will zoom right to the top and stay there, just waiting for you.
And if you ever change your mind? Just unpin it. Your email will go back to where it was, no fuss, no drama.
Pin an email in Outlook [drag and drop] method in Taskbar?
So you’ve heard about that cool pin feature in the Outlook web version, right? But if you’ve been hunting for that pushpin icon in the Outlook application and coming up empty, don’t fret! It’s not you; the Outlook app just hasn’t added that feature yet. 🤷♂️
But hey, we’ve got a backdoor trick for you!
We all know about dragging emails out of Outlook onto the desktop. It’s old school. But did you know you can use this trick to pin emails in the Outlook app? Here’s how:
Steps to Pin an Email in the Outlook App:
- Fire Up Outlook: Start your Outlook application.
- Choose Your Star Email: Find and select the email you wanna keep on top.
- Desktop Detour: Using the good ol’ drag and drop, pull that email out of Outlook and drop it onto your desktop. Let go of that mouse button!
- Back to the App: Wanna pin it back? Grab that email from your desktop, drag it over to the Outlook icon in your taskbar, and drop it like it’s hot!
- Check the Pins: Right-click on the Outlook icon in your taskbar. A list pops up with your pinned emails. You can keep up to six VIP emails here.
- Open Sesame: Click on a pinned email, and it’ll open up in a shiny new window.
- Change of Heart? If you ever decide to unpin an email, just click on the unpin icon (rightmost corner of the email) and poof! It’s gone from the pinned list.
How To Pin Emails in Outlook App [2019, 365]
Let’s uncover some sneaky ways to keep important emails right where you want them—in the spotlight. Ready? Let’s break it down!
So, a lot of you love using Outlook on the web. But here’s a little hiccup: there isn’t a straightforward way to pin emails and make them stick at the top. Bummer, right? But fret not! We’ve got a neat trick for you.
Instead of pinning, you can flag emails to keep them at the top. It’s like putting a shiny badge on them, saying, “Hey, look at me!”
- Get Started: Open up Outlook and head to your Inbox.
- Spot Your Star Email: Hover over the email you want to spotlight.
- Flag Time: See that flag icon? Click it! That email just got VIP status.
- Change of Heart? If you ever want to take off that VIP badge, just click the flag icon again. Easy peasy!
Want to see all your flagged emails at once? Check out the flagged messages option at the bottom left. This is super handy if you’ve flagged a bunch of emails.
Ready for a deep dive? Let’s roll!
- Kick Off: Fire up Outlook and head to your Inbox.
- Pick Your Email: Find that special email you want to flag.
- Right-Click Magic: Click the right mouse button on the email.
- Time to Follow Up: In the context menu that pops up, choose Follow-up.
- Pick Your Type: For IMAP-based emails, go with No Date. For POP-based ones, choose flag message. This adds the email to your task to-do list (cool, right?).
- Where’s My Email? Find it at the top of the Tasks pane. Just go to View >> To-do bar >> Task.
- Last Stop: Check out the right-hand side column in your Outlook window. You’ll see your tasks there.
There you go! With a few clicks, you’re keeping your important emails front and center. It’s like giving them a VIP pass to your inbox party. 🎉📧🚩
Manually Pinning Emails
- Fire Up Outlook: Start that trusty Outlook app of yours.
- Spot Your Star: Find the email that’s screaming, “Pin me! Pin me!”
- Rearrange Your Window: Resize your Outlook so you can sneak a peek at your desktop or the folder you’re aiming for in the backdrop.
- Drag and Drop: Just like you’d move a picture or file, click and hold on that email, drag it out of the Outlook window, and plop it down wherever you want.
Automatically Pinning Emails
Imagine if emails could pin themselves based on what they are about or who they’re from. Dreamy, right? Well, dream no more!
Step-by-Step to Auto-Pin Magic:
- Rules Rule: Head to the toolbar in Outlook and click on the Rules button. Then, choose Manage Rules & Alerts.
- Add New Rule: In the dialog box that pops up, it’s time to click New Rule.
- Craft Your Rule: The Rules Wizard is your playground now. Pick the rule template that fits best. Add conditions (like if an email is from your boss or has the word “urgent” in the title), decide what actions to take, and set any exceptions (because sometimes we change our minds).
How to Remove and Clear Flags from the List
So, you’ve had your fun with flags and pins, and now you’re thinking it’s time to take some down. No worries! Here’s your step-by-step guide to unflagging emails and getting that neat, tidy inbox back.
Removing Those Flags: Step by Step
- Spot the Flag: Find that email you’ve previously flagged or pinned.
- Right-Click Fun: Just give it a right-click. It’s like giving your email a gentle nudge saying, “It’s time to let go of the flag.”
- Kick It Off the List: Spot the option that says remove from the list? It’s usually near the bottom. Click on that, and you’re golden.
- Say Bye to the Flag: If you just want to unflag without removing it, then after right-clicking, hover over to follow up and then click on Clear flag. And poof! The flag’s gone.
Bonus: Categorizing and Coloring Your Emails 🎨
Remember when you used to color-code your notes in school? Well, you can do that with your emails too!
- Categorize Me: After right-clicking on your email, you can find options to categorize it. You can assign colors and even give it a fun name like “Pinned” or “Read Later.”
- Follow Up Fun: With your categorized emails, it’s easier to follow up. It’s like putting them in neat little groups where they’re easy to find and act upon.
Note: While this doesn’t exactly pin your emails like in Outlook 365 web, it’s a nifty way to keep things organized and give some emails the special attention they deserve.
Customizing the Pin Feature
Let’s not just pin those emails; let’s do it with style! If you’re someone who loves to customize things (and I know you do!), here’s a cool trick for you.
Filter Pinned Emails
Ever felt like finding a needle in a haystack when trying to spot those pinned emails? No more!
Here’s Your Step-by-Step Guide:
- Pin Away: First things first. If you’ve got a new email you want to pin, hover over that bad boy and click on the little flag icon. Boom! It’s pinned.
- Bring Out the VIPs: Want to see only your pinned emails? Easy peasy.
- Look for that filter icon – it’s sitting pretty at the top of your message list.
- Click on it and from the drop-down that appears, choose “Pinned.”
And just like magic, only your VIP (Very Important Pinned) emails will show up, ready for your attention.
Using Categories and Symbols
Ever thought of making your inbox not just organized but also colorful and lively? Let’s talk about using categories and symbols in Outlook.
1. Why Use Categories?
Think of categories as those cool, colored tabs you used to put on your school notes. They make things easy to find and super organized. And the best part? Outlook lets you use them for your emails!
2. How to Get Started with Categories
- Step-by-Step Guide:
- Select an Email: Spot an email you want to categorize.
- Right-Click Magic: Give it a right-click, and in the menu that pops up, look for “Categorize.”
- Pick Your Color: A rainbow of categories will appear. Choose the one that feels right.
- Go Custom: Not seeing a category you like? Make your own! Just click on “All Categories” at the bottom, then “New,” and voila!
3. Using Symbols for That Extra Zing
But wait, there’s more! For each category, you can use a fun symbol. It’s like giving your emails a little personality. Check out these examples:
- Work gets a classy briefcase: 💼
- Family has a cozy family symbol: 👨👩👧👦
- Personal gets a big thumbs up: 👍
- Projects are like folders: 📁
- Planning Trips? There’s a plane for that: ✈️
And these are just a few examples. You can always get creative and add any emoji that speaks to you.
Understanding Pin Icons
So, you’ve been dabbling in Outlook and want to become an expert at using those pin icons? I’ve got you covered! Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of understanding these little guys.
1. The Mighty Pin Icon: What’s It All About?
The pin icon in Outlook is like that sticky note on your fridge – it keeps the important stuff right where you can see it. By default, it’s a humble, grey pin, just chilling in your email list.
2. Pinning Down the Details
When you decide an email’s worth pinning (like that reminder for the pizza party on Friday 🍕), that grey pin turns into a vibrant blue. This blue pin screams, “Hey! I’m important! Look at me!” And just like that, your email stays at the top of your list.
3. Changed Your Mind? No Problem!
Unpinning is a breeze. Accidentally pinned the wrong email? Or maybe that pizza party got postponed? Simply click on that blue pin again, and your email will go back to its original spot.
By now, you’ve got the lowdown on:
- Customizing Your Pins: Making your pinned emails look the way you want.
- Previewing Your Stars: Easily viewing all those top-priority emails.
- Categorizing with Flair: Using fun categories and symbols to organize your emails.
- The Pin Icon Decoded: Knowing what that pin icon’s all about.
Advanced Tips for Outlook Pinning
Schedule Send for Pinned Emails
Ever wished you could write an email now and have it sent later? Well, guess what, you can!
How to Nail It:
- Start by drafting your oh-so-important email.
- Spot that “More Options” button? Click on it.
- Dive into the “Delay Delivery” choice.
- Pick the perfect send date and time.
With this trick, you can make sure your emails go out exactly when you want them to. Whether you’re sending a birthday wish at midnight or a work email first thing in the morning, Outlook’s got your back!
Manage Microsoft Account Subscriptions
Remember, Outlook is just one superstar in the big band of Microsoft 365. And to make the most of it, you gotta keep tabs on your subscriptions.
Here’s Your Game Plan:
- Head over to account.microsoft.com.
- Once there, give a click on “Services & subscriptions.”
- Voila! Here’s where you can see all your subscriptions, renew them, or say goodbye to the ones you don’t need.
Having this control ensures you’re making the most of what Microsoft offers and gives you a smoother Outlook experience.
Outlook Productivity and Training Courses
If you’re like me, you probably feel like there’s always so much to do and so little time to do it. But guess what? There’s a hero in the room, and it’s not a bird or a plane – it’s Outlook! 🚀
You know, we use our email almost every single day. And if we can make it work just a little bit faster or smarter for us, imagine the hours we’d save! That’s why jumping into some Outlook training can be a game-changer.
So, the first cool place I’d tell any friend about is the Microsoft 365 Training Center. They’ve got some epic resources for Outlook 2016 like:
- Cool video lessons 🎥
- Super helpful articles 📝
- And free courses! (Yes, FREE!) 🎓
But, hey, if you’re hungry for even more learning, there’s a big world out there. Some other rad places with courses on Outlook are:
- Udemy (They’ve got tons of courses on, like, everything!)
- LinkedIn Learning (Yep, they’re not just for networking anymore!)
- Pluralsight (For those who love diving deep!)
Let’s make a pact, okay? Let’s promise to spend a little time (and trust me, it’s worth it!) learning the ins and outs of Outlook. By doing this, we’re not just learning about email – we’re mastering a tool that’ll help us save time and be rockstars at what we do.
Hey there, buddy! So, I’ve been thinking – emails can be overwhelming, right? 💌 Some days, our inboxes are just bursting with messages, and it’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Have you ever had that super important email, the one you absolutely couldn’t lose? But then, oops, it gets buried under all the new stuff? Here’s the magic trick: pinning! By pinning that crucial email, we’re giving it a VIP spot right at the top of our inbox. No more hide and seek!
Want to pin an email in Outlook? Easy-peasy! 🌟
- Hover over the email you want to pin.
- Spot that little flag icon? Click on it. Boom! Your email just got VIP status.
Just make sure your inbox is sorted by date. And if you ever want to “un-VIP” that email? Just click the flag again.
So, to sum it all up, this pinning thing in Outlook? It’s like giving your most important emails a golden ticket. 🎫 It keeps our heads clear, helps us focus on what’s crucial, and saves us a whole bunch of time!
Ready to make your email life easier? Let’s pin it to win it! 📌🚀
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I pin an email in Outlook desktop?
- Open Outlook and go to your mailbox.
- Select the email you want to pin.
- Right-click on the email and choose "Pin" from the options.
- The email will now appear in your pinned items at the top of your inbox.
2. Can I pin multiple emails in Outlook desktop?
3. How do I unpin an email in Outlook desktop?
- Open Outlook and go to your mailbox.
- Locate the pinned email you want to unpin.
- Right-click on the email and select "Unpin" from the options.
- The email will no longer be pinned and will move back to its original position in your inbox.